With 431 million active users in January 2022, Pinterest is one of the most popular social media platforms. If you’re a Pinterest user, video is something you should be using as part of your strategy to get more viewers. Here’s how to upload videos to Pinterest.
However, with the rise of video-dominated platforms like Instagram and TikTok, Pinterest’s active monthly users have fallen by about 6.1% since Q4 2020.
The platform has needed to adapt its content to cater to the ever-growing demand for video content.
Pinterest now allows premium users to upload videos. The process is pretty straightforward. However, many businesses aren’t taking advantage of this option.
How To Upload Videos To Pinterest
Read on to learn how to upload videos to Pinterest, what types of videos you can upload to Pinterest, and some Pinterest video tips.
When Did Pinterest Start Allowing Video Uploads?
Pinterest first allowed Pinterest Business accounts to upload videos to the platform in 2019, shortly after the company went public.
However, non-business accounts are still not allowed to upload their videos. Only premium users can upload videos, and often these videos are used for Pinterest ads.
What Types of Videos Can You Upload to Pinterest?
Pinterest requires users to upload videos with the following specifications:
- File types: .mp4, .mov or .m4v
- Max size: 2GB (or less)
- Length: 4 seconds – 15 minutes (Pinterest recommends 6-15 seconds for ads)
- Aspect ratio: 1:1 (square) or 2:3, 4:5 or 9:16 (vertical) or 16:9 (widescreen)
- Resolution: Minimum 240p. 720p or 1080p is recommended for the best quality
- Frame rate: No specification
- Encoding: H.264 or H.265
- Title: Up to 100 characters
- Description: Up to 500 characters
Your videos must also follow the community guidelines.
These videos can be used as regular video pins or for Pinterest ads. Pinterest recommends keeping ads short at six to 15 seconds each.
How to Upload Videos to Pinterest on Desktop: Step by Step Guide
Now, we’ll show you how to post videos on Pinterest. To upload content, you first need to sign up for a Pinterest business account.
With a Pinterest business account you can:
- View analytics for your pins and audience
- Have your brand name appear on every pin from your website
- Create Pinterest ads
- Upload video pins
The next step to add videos to Pinterest is to click the “Create” tab in the navigation menu. Then click “Create Pin” from the dropdown menu.
- Next, you can drag and drop your video into the space provided, or you click to select a video from your computer. Pinterest will then take a few moments to upload your video.
- After that, you will have the option to select a cover image—the image displayed on boards. It is the first image people will see in their feed before the video loads. Therefore, an attractive cover image is more likely to catch people’s attention.
- To select a cover image, move the selector sideways until you come across a frame you like.
- After this, click on the field “Add your title.” Here you can insert a descriptive title that will also show up in user feeds.
- The next section provides you with an area to write a video description and alternative text (alt-text). You can also include a link to direct people to your website or somewhere else.
Once you’ve set everything up, you can choose to publish your pin immediately or schedule it to publish at a later time or date.
Pinterest then lets you choose a board to post the pin to. If you don’t have any boards or you want to create a new one, Pinterest gives you the option to create one from this screen.
Before you put videos on Pinterest, it can be a good idea to double-check all of the information you have inputted.
Here are some things to check for:
- Spelling/grammatical errors
- Calls to action (CTAs)
- Your title and description match the video
- You chose a relevant board to pin to
If you want to upload multiple videos, simply click the plus (+) icon to follow the same steps for additional video pins. Bulk uploads can also be done using the “Bulk Create Pins” option.
How To Upload Videos To Pinterest On Mobile
Check out this quick video tutorial to learn how:
How to Create Pinterest Video Ads
Pinterest allows business accounts to promote their videos and reach a wider audience on the platform.
Here are the steps to create Pinterest video ads once you add videos to Pinterest:
- Go to your Ads Manager and select Video or Max video. This will bring up a list of all the video pins you can turn into ads.
- If you want to upload a new video for an ad, click the plus icon to navigate to the “Create a Pin” page.
- After selecting the video you want to advertise, Pinterest will walk you through the steps to set up your audience targeting, cost, campaign length, and more.
Pinterest Video Tips for Businesses
Here are some tips to create engaging Pinterest videos to expand your reach:
Pinterest is a busy platform, with most of the content being short-form. That means users may expect content that delivers value early and quickly.
Grab the viewer’s attention early with visual and audio cues. This can include an inviting face and text that quickly transitions into the next scene, or it could feature playful music.
Also, keep your Pinterest videos short. Users are more likely to watch and take action on a short video than one they need to sit through for 10+ minutes to get value.
One of the best ways to shorten your videos is to cut them up to remove filler time. That helps the video transition quickly from one sentence or scene to the next. Frequent changes will grab (and keep) a viewer’s attention.
Lastly, not everyone will have their volume turned up, and some users are hard of hearing. Therefore, captions and text overlays are highly recommended so people can still understand what your video is about without hearing the audio.
To Wrap It Up – How To Upload Videos To Pinterest
So, now you know how to upload videos to Pinterest. The site can be a powerful vehicle for businesses to take advantage of.
It has solidified itself as one of the top platforms in the world, and the option to upload video pins has improved how you can engage with the site’s users.
Pinterest videos don’t need to be that long to provide value and increase brand awareness. As such, Pinterest video pins are worth testing for many businesses who want to expand their reach.